Thursday, January 11, 2007

A Wonderful Lady...

Oma & Opa visiting in Saskatoon

Helen Krahn
August 17th 1928 - December 19th, 2006

I received a very big shock tonight when I received an e-mail from my ex-husband, Marty. He told me that his Oma, Helen Krahn, had passed away from cancer on Dec 19th... I never even knew she was sick.

Helen "Oma" was wonderful woman. In the winter of 1999 I lived in the basement of Opa and Oma's house (in Chilliwack B.C.) before Marty and I got married. They were a sweet couple who were always looking out for other's interests before their own. Oma was always cooking something...perogies, farmer sausage, ribs, platz, and many other Mennonite specialities. She was a dear lady.
As a result of finding out about this, I have learned a very important lesson - NEVER EVER put off till tomorrow what you can do today!!! After Marty and I separated in 2002, and subsequently divorced...God put it on my heart to contact his family. I finally gave in a year or so ago and I called his mother. However, I have been saying for the past four years that I needed to write Oma & Opa a card and tell them how special they were to me.... I never did.

Dear Oma,

Thank you for taking time to care about me, even if we were only in each other's lives for a short while. I am sorry for hurting your grandson. He was a wonderful man....I just wasn't ready. I am happy that you are with the Lord now, and I am blessed to have the peace and assurance that we will meet in heaven again one day. Until then, goodbye. I did love you, and I am sorry I did not say it soon enough.

Love, Lauren

1 comment:

Brad and Samantha said...

Lauren,
Sorry to hear of Marty's Oma passing away! I appreciated what you said in your blog. It was a good reminder for me especially!Thanks,
Bratface